Tuesday, July 5, 2011


Next Saturday, I will be attending a bridal shower for the daughter of a dear friend. The bride, Tyree, is in her late 20's...owns a fashion boutique, and has a strong personal sense of "style."

The invitation that I received in the mail revealed that Tyree's wedding colors are lime green and black. (I'm SURE there will be plenty of WHITE, as well. :) The invitation featured dramatic black & white baroque design on a lime green background. Hmmm...how to design a card for her?

I remembered viewing a video tutorial by Becca Feeken, in which she described and demonstrated how she "paper pieced" her card bases from heavy watercolor stock , in order to create a STRONG foundation for her heavily embellished cards. As I considered Tyree's tastes, I thought that my card for her might NEED a strong base, so I searched Becca's blog site, until I FINALLY found and reviewed her video. My card base was made EXACTLY as she taught!

Using a "flourish" stamp, I decorated a panel of lime green card stock, which I layered over a slightly larger panel of black stock, after rounding the bottom right corner of each. I used a Tim Holtz "hanging sign" die to punch a "wrought iron" sign hanger, from a cereal box panel, which I direct-stamped with black Staz-On ink until covered and embossed with vanilla embossing powder (in hopes of achieving an aged appearance). The white card stock sign was stamped with a "Mr. & Mrs." stamp and irregularly edged with lime green and black inks.

Attaching the hanger to the sign presented a problem because my stash does not include jewelry findings, such as are pictured in the illustrations. I tried out a number of alternate products and settled on fine silver cording that I'd purchased, months ago, at Hobby Lobby in their CHRISTmas aisle. I hid the necessary knot behind the "sign" and am satisfied, if not thrilled, with the results.

Atop the lime green card stock, I layered a panel of green & black patterned paper shaped with a Spellbinder's die. A strip of filmy green ribbon served as a "wall" to secure the hanging sign (grin) and a key, rosette, and punched butterfly completed the card front details.

The inside of the card was given a light touch, with a sentiment (stamp purchased for Tyree's card) and a puffy, black flourish sticker.

All-in-all, I am happy with the finished card, but wish that I had included a black die-cut doily behind or atop the pattern paper on the card front, to give a PUNCH of BOLD BLACK. *sigh*

Perhaps, when I purchase Tyree's gift, I can decorate the gift bag or box -- and use a die-cut black doily. (I feel BETTER, now. :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my Deb you have been busy! Have to say I like lime green and I like how you stamped with the flourish onto the lime green cardstock!your hanger turned out great! unfortunately the picture doesn't show the inked edges on the torn edged sign :( I know that I have also had to improvise the hanging materials :)nice job Deb! I am sure the bride and groom will enjoy your card