Tuesday, February 14, 2012

THRIFT STORE SHOPPING!!

My daughter, Moriah, simply LOVES to shop at local thrift stores! Her current passion is to find "like new" educational toys for her children and to scavenge for "treasures" for personal use.

Last week, as we left my driveway for our FRIDAY TOGETHER time, I mentioned that I would like to check out a store or two with her. Moriah was SO excited for she had planned to suggest it, herself! My interest was to find materials that I could use in card making -- lace, ribbons, old books, etc.

Well, I am HAPPY! HAPPY! to share that my lil shopping expedition was a TOTAL SUCCESS!! Here are photos of the items I found and how I plan to use them:

This first photo is of a package containing (mostly) lace and trims that cost around $6.00!! Before using, I will place all in a mesh laundry bag and run it through the washer and dryer. (It smells nice and fresh, though.)


The second photo is of fabric remnants from which I plan to make rolled and yo-yo flowers, and perhaps, torn strips for (kraft paper) gift wrapping. (After laundering, of course.)


Next, is a photo of a pkg. of artificial flowers. Some are really BIG, so will likely be mounted on gift-wrapped packages in lieu of bows, and on envelopes containing handmade cards. Lysol sprayed, first. (I know...I'm a weee bit OCD, but I want to be able to ENJOY my purchases, ya know?)






I found some nicely aged books! Aged, but NOT musty smelling -- very important. It TOTALLY goes against my nature (and my mother's training) to tear-out pages, but I plan to just grit-my-teeth and DO it. I could photocopy the pages for use in making cards, but I am RESISTING that urge. (grin)

I am ESPECIALLY tickled about finding the pictorial dictionary -- can envision cutting portions that feature the first letter of children's names -- and the music book. I'm chuckling to myself at the thought of using a page from the "Dry Bones" song on my sister's next birthday card! HAHAHAHA!!! (Don't worry...I wouldn't DARE.)







I am hoping that Moriah WILL NOT want to make thrift store shopping a REGULAR on our itinerary or I could VERY LIKELY morph into a bona fide HOARDER. YIKES!!! But, she was SO tickled that I would go with her -- I could never disappoint her by refusing. (See how skillfully I managed to "shift the blame" to her, when I really SHOULD be able to exhibit a measure of self-control. But, there IS an addictive adrenaline surge that results from successful garage sale, thrift store, ebay (and on-site auction) shopping!! Don't ask how I know this...grin.

But, I bought some REALLY GOOD STUFF, right?? Now, I only need to remember to USE it.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my GOODNESS!!
    I love all the lace and I agree with you wash it first :)
    The material does look like it would make great flowers.
    A little OCD? hahaha
    Don't forget you can pull you flowers apart and make them smaller or bigger :)
    LOL dry bones for a birthday card!!! that is toooo funny!
    Thank you for sharing your photos of your purchases, I agree with you, REALLY GOOD STUFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. deb, this is the very first post that has come through my email service for you--yay! i hope they keep coming!

    i LOVE to junk--you found some wonderful goodies!

    happy valentines day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thrift store junking and antiquing has long been one of my MOST favorite adventures. My parents exposed me to the world of antiques as a teenager, and I've never looked back. When my mom comes to visit, we hit our local thrift stores as often as possible. :) Love your new treasures, Deb! I know you are going to have a ton of fun with them.

    ReplyDelete