Sunday, March 11, 2012

NOT your Everyday Label for File Box

(This is my second post, today. Scroll down to see pics of my granddaughter's birthday card.)

I started a new job on Thursday!! After seventeen years of running a childcare biz in my home, I envisioned a different life and a different job -- and those changes are taking place!

For years and years, good friends, Ken & Sherry, have bantered with me regarding my quitting childcare and working for Ken. Well, last summer, while having dinner with Sherry, I surprised the BOTH of us by deciding to quit childcare!! I took four months to "make it happen" and gave my clients two months' notice -- and my last day of care was October 13th.

Nearly five months later, on March 07, I began working for Ken in a temporary capacity -- as his secretary at our local YMCA! Ken's secretary of many years is fighting cancer and while she is undergoing surgery and recovery, I am filling-in. Since I am HAPPY to be retired and am, also, HAPPY to work for Ken, it's a SUPER arrangement!! When I am no longer needed, I'll just come back home!

Unfortunately, on my first day, I discovered that there were NO written instructions for how to DO the MANY clerical tasks that the job entails, so there's a bit MORE stress than necessary. But, I decided to CHANGE the situation. I rummaged around the office and found an unused (though, decidedly ugly) over-sized black, plastic index card box and I am going to develop a step-by-step record of how to get things done! I plan to label the dividers "DAILY;" "WEEKLY;" "MONTHLY," and "PERIODICALLY." With this system, I should be able to adequately organize and record the HOW-TO's of my tasks!

Today, I was thinking about that ugly plastic box. Even though I scrubbed and scraped it, there remained remnants of a former label that just would NOT come off. (I have "Goo Gone" at home, but didn't think to bring the box home with me on Friday.) I decided to use my paper crafting supplies and make a NEW label, with separate paper flower for strategic placement over the old residue! I even made my own index dividers, adding a bit of color (for the FUN of it).

I think it will make me HAPPY to have a little "crafty something" on my desk!!

Here's what I made "for the office." (grin) My label for the front of the ugly black plastic index box:


And, here are the handmade index dividers:


Now that I'm a "working girl," I guess there will be NO MORE blog surfing at 1:00 a.m.!! sniff

4 comments:

  1. Hi Deb, I really like what you made here. How are you attaching your label to the box?
    It is great that you have the freedom to "make it" your own working area. Also do you have the die to cut the index dividers?

    yup no more late night surfing gal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on your job, deb! love the corrugated cardboard and cute flower! have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies!!

    I used "Glue Lines" to adhere the label to the plastic box and, let me tell you, it is STUCK! (grin)

    No, I don't have the index divider die. (But, I do have the roll-o-dex die.) At the thrift shop on Friday, I bought a box of itty-bitty file folders -- just right for card making -- and I simply trimmed on the scored lines for a perfect fit in the box!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a big life change you have been going through. 17 years of home childcare?? My hat's off to you! That is a lot of work and takes tremendous energy and patience. No wonder you are such an amazingly sweet person! Very excited for you about your new job. Sounds like a very nice arrangement. Love that you are personalizing and beautifying your work space. The label for the file box is awesome. Love the neutrals you used. That black bumpy/textured piece must look great with the black box. Loving the corrugated board and that brown flower, too. Chocolate brown is actually my favorite color. :)

    ReplyDelete